Monday, December 24, 2007

A Mass for the Sumilao Farmers


The 7th night of simbang gabi in Ateneo was held for the Sumilao farmers of Bukidnon. I was so lucky to be there and witness it. I was with Ketsy and 4 other community members who also attended the mass in lieu of our Friday night Prayer meeting.

That was such an experience for me. Ironically, I felt awesome to set foot on Ateneo and be part of the Atenean community for just few hours. The people, the mass, the environment were surreal. I once dreamt to feel that feeling and it came true at that moment.

Anyways, the Sumilao farmers walked from Bukidnon to Manila to fight for their right to have the 400 hundred hectares of farm land which is now being run by an international company. They walked 1,800 kilometers on foot just for the government to take notice of them and actually hear them.

The mass was held in Ateneo because the study was started by a group of students from the said school. The Jesuit priests are supporting them in this fight for right not only for the farmers themselves but also for the future of their families.

The homily given by Father Weng, the head of the Jesuit community in the Philippines, told the people why one of the farmers was convinced to take part in this battle. That farmer’s reason was that when he saw his nine-month old son, he knew that he needed to do this for his kid’s better future. That was really touching that made me cry. That was a realization for me that these things happen in real lives. That battle can be won with love and support. At that moment, I felt that my spirit was with them. That was really moving!

The mass’s collection was offered to the farmers as well as the sales coming from the statement shirts being sold by the students. I am really grateful that even in prayers and in my simple ways, that I was able to be a part of their battle. I really hope that the government will hand them their land.

No comments: