Monday, December 24, 2007

My family isn’t the typical one. I live with my mom and my one brother. I have two other half brothers that stay with my dad in Manila. Since I was born it’s my Kuya Thobby I was with. We grew up together under one roof and under the care of our mama alone.

This holiday season will be a more special one not because we’re gonna celebrate it in a different way but it will be a thanksgiving celebration in a way because most of this year has been hale and hearty year as far as my brother’s health is concern.

The start of 2007 was ghastly for us, me and my brother spent the New Year in the hospital for the first time away from our mama, lola, 2 cousins and tita amy. He was in and out of the hospital because he was diagnosed to have vasculitis, an auto immune disease caused by hepatitis and stress according to the doctor. That was the longest time we were together and the first time I actually took care of him. During that time, I couldn’t help but think of the possibilities that anything could happen because his state was pretty serious and anytime I could lose him. I was really afraid then and couldn’t imagine how my life would be if that dreadful thing would happen.

It’s hard to illustrate how am I with my brother, maybe this letter would explain it.

A letter from my Kuya Thobby, dated July 13, 2005

A pleasant day to you my wicked sister. What can I say? Well, I know, we’ve been into rough and smooth times, and I know we don’t have the typical brother and sister thing just like other common people. Although we share things and we bond sometimes especially if I have topak… but this doesn’t mean we don’t have a good relationship right?

It is just that, we seldom see each other and we seldom have the opportunity. We were brought up as survivors and independents, that’s why very often we rely to one another. We are very secretive and insensitive sometimes.

But that’s what we are and its hard to change it now. On the other hand I’m grateful that you become what Mama wanted you to be and I’m proud that you have grown fat (hehe) joke! I mean you have grown to a fine and responsible Viva Hot Mama! No kidding!

I thank you for being there with me especially when I needed you most, you may not know it but honestly I really appreciated those small things.

I wish you all the best in your career and I pray that you’ll be happy and contented in life. I am always here if you need me, juts don’t hesitate especially if it’s a serious thing. I am also facing a hard time this past few days and I’m trying to overcome it.

One thing I’ve learned in life is that, things just come and go without premises, things change and things sometimes turn to be unfair, but no matter what happens at the end it is still you who need to decide and choose for your own fate. I hope you will choose the right thing.

What more can I say?

Thanks for being my one and only Candy.

God Bless.

I love you!

Gwapong Kuya Thobby

No comments: