Friday, January 18, 2008

The Battle

If there is one advocacy I would be willing to fight for, it would be joining the battle of children with dyslexia. To let them be accepted and understood and not be reckoned as stupid, lazy and useless. To help them realize their potentials and the millions of things they could do even if they have this learning disability“ - phnas

When I graduated I never considered working in any corporate setting. It won’t work for me! Coz I easily get bored. I hate doing things over and over again, robotic stuff. I’d just be sick and throw up everything I do and die! Seriously!

I was looking for a kind of work that will give me happiness, new knowledge and experiences, a positive environment, and lots of fulfillment. A kind of job that will make me grow and be a better person. (so ideal!)

I was accepted in a regular prep- school, named Kostka in Katipunan but decided to let it down last minute because I had a good chance of getting another job which I deemed as more challenging, and that is to be a special educator. I took the risk and fortunately I made it and got in. I signed up for a 3-year contract, it’s looong! But I know, that would be a good foundation for something.

Wordlab School:

When I first walked in Wordlab, I felt so small in terms of everything. I was a neophyte trying to absorb and learn their way of living. Believe me, people there are smart and competent. I was the little fish in a very, very, very big pond. I felt really insecure! But I stayed positive and believe I could do this…

I want to talk about so many things that I am learning from my job, the people I work with, the experiences I am having, and my amazing and lovable kids I handled and been handling. Next time….. 

Anyways, I’d like to give you a background information about the difficulty my kids are having. It’s called Dyslexia.

What is Dyslexia?

The b becomes a d. The g changes into a p or a q. Some letters seem to move across the page. Others disappear. For children with dyslexia, learning to read doesn’t come easy. Still, many of them are only too willing to learn.

Dyslexia is a condition that has been likened to many things: being stupid, lazy or slow. Sadly, some dyslexics are made to believe they are. It is none of these. Dyslexia is a learning disability.

Characteristics of Dyslexia
A child with dyslexia:
• Has difficulty learning to read
• Makes strange spelling mistakes
• Confuses letters such as b and d
• Mixes up letters in a word/ words in a sentence
• Has poor sense of direction
• Confuses left and right
• Has difficulty remembering sequences
• Cannot fully understand what s/he has read
• Has difficulty with the multiplication table
• Pays attention to everything
• Has difficulty focusing on a task
• Has difficulty coordinating movements
• Lacks confidence and exhibits low self-esteem

Bloopers

I love my kids soooooo much… for immeasurable reasons. When I am around them, I feel like a child again, a friend to them, their sister, mom and yaya all rolled into one. In short I become Super Teacher Phnas! Hehe.

They make me realize how lucky and blessed I am. They make me cry most of the times not because makulit sila or it’s a challenge to teach them, but because they are making me a better person and making me realize more that I can really make a difference.

But you know the best thing when I am with them?…. They never fail to make me laugh sobra! Here are some samples of their funny anecdotes:

T: (Teacher)
K: (kid)

T: What do you think are bristles?
K: When you’re in a fire, after it you get on your arms…like black color…
T: Ah…bruises!
--------
T: What can you say of people or person who does everything you say and does not complain?
K: Theyare…slaveable!!!
T: When you always obey somebody, you are?
K: Obeyful
--------
K: I am going to a party tomorrow (friend’s birthday)
T: Really? Where? What time?
K: in ATC (Alabang Town Center)…it’s none of your business.

We were about to make an aquarium…
K: Are we making a fish?
--------
Word to read: who
K: /whore/
T: (what!!!???)
--------
K: I have a new book teacher (9 year-old boy)
T: Really! Are you reading it?
K: Yeah! I’m in chapter 900!!!! (wahahahah)
--------
KWL chart (Listing down the things you Know, things you Want to learn and things that you’ve Learned after discussing the topic)
K: (posting a question about Tornado)
K: Why are tornadoes made by God?
T: (Oh my God!)…next question please….
---------
K: Mina, typhoon!
T: Yeah! We have a typhoon Mina.
K: Oh my gosh! Are we gonna die?
---------
While reading : Tonight in the Titanic”
T: What’s happening to the boat?
K: The boat is sinking….group yourselves into….

No comments: