Monday, January 28, 2008

Tuesdays with Morrie...A Play



I’ve read the book back in college..I like how Mitch Albom wrote it…simple but in one way or another you could relate to what he ‘s telling in his stories. He is one of my favorite authors. Actually, I haven’t seen the movie back in 2003, I think I didn’t know then that there was. So, when Beepsie told us that we could see the last showing of the play Tuesdays with Morrie by Repertory, gosh! We grabbed it.

And it did happen just tonight. There were only two actors, Bart Guingona as Mitch Albom and Jose Mari Avellana as Morrie Schwartz. They were able to touch their audience, they were really really good. They made us listen, laugh and cry a lot! I didn’t know I would be so in love with their characters this much. I could not remember if I did appreciate them in the book, I really can’t remember, but two things stick into my mind after seeing the play:

First, I am fortunate to have this job, because I know even in my own little ways I am able to touch my students’ lives. I am so proud to be a teacher! I may not be the most knowledgeable, experienced, patient teacher they could ever have…. But I love them truly! That’s what I am sure… and I hope someday they would still remember their teacher Phnas ;)

Second, I’ve realized that I am really happy!

“Dying is sad…but being unhappy is something else”

All of us maybe are afraid to die, maybe because we aren’t sure what awaits us beyond this lifetime. Dying scares me a lot, I hate it because it causes all kinds of pain. I don’t have the courage even to think about it in the first place.

But living an unhappy life is another story. The moment he had said that line, tears started to fall on my cheeks because I’ve realized and I am sure that I am happy. Different kind of happiness I get from the love around me, not from material things but from my family, from my friends and people I know, things I do, the dreams I have and most especially the great love I receive from Daddy Jess. I was just thinking that, oh my! My death would not be a sad one at all! because I am living a happy life!

“When you die, things won’t matter, but the lives you’ve touched”.

I love Morrie! I love theater! I love me! And I love being happy!

No comments: